Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

So You're Thinking About: Using Your Own Bike

"Does anyone have suggestions about taking your own bike vs taking the one provided?"

First, to bring all my readers up to speed: Bike & Build provides a bike from Giant to each its participants. They can opt out for a $450 fundraising credit.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using your own?

Using your own:
  1. don't need to raise $450 more, thus saving effort + time if you're having trouble fundraising
  2. familiarity with your own equipment
  3. you already are comfortable with the geometry and fit
  4. you've already been through the breaking period. Some riders had issues the first couple weeks
  5. you get to take your baby across the country
  6. it's easy to find your bike among all the others

However, there are some benefits to getting the new bike:

  1. upgrade to your previous bike = faster, more comfortable, better components, bling factor
  2. you'll be able to get it at a good price compare to normal pricing
  3. you get to keep it
  4. you can sell your bike when you are finished
  5. most people have similar bikes, so it makes part swapping easy if something breaks
  6. no sentimental attachment if something catastrophic occurs

I used my own, and I'm glad I did. It's possible to come away from B&B with minimal damage/wear/tear. I overhauled my headset, replaced the cabling afterwards, and replaced the handlebar tape, but everyone probably should, so it's a moot point. There are hoses often at the hosts, so if you take some time, you can clean it regularly. I probably would have been just as happy with the (upgraded) Giant if I did 500 miles on it before the trip. I wasn't willing to switch bikes in the middle of racing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment