Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

So You're Thinking About: Training Off the Bike


"Does anyone have any tips or advice on training off the bike- weight training or other forms cardio, etc? Anything you wish someone had told you/wish you had done prior to your trip/were more prepared for...?"

I think I should have done some lower back workouts before the trip. I got about 1600 miles in before the trip with no back problems, but the hydration pack killed me (I plain just carried too much and didn't have it adjusted quite right. That and my bike was not adjusted for touring). That being said, I was not prepared for the mental challenges of B&B and would not do any more training than you need for the sake of preventing burnout.

Other workouts? Maybe plyometrics, core/abs, squats, leg presses, lunges, calf raises, leg extensions and leg curls. However, I tore my meniscus a couple years ago and my doctor (also a team physician for the Washington Redskins) told me to stop doing leg extensions - apparently really bad for the knees, but I listed it here because it's in this book, and it may improve kneecap tracking.

Additionally, the cyclist's training bible lists step-ups, seated rows, heel raises, and other upper body workouts.

There are only a few pages on weight training in each of those books, but if you want to know more about cycling and weight training.

Lastly, I cannot overemphasize the importance of stretching - after warmup, during and after workout, and before bed. I really neglected this, and it may have eliminated my back issues altogether. Tight hamstrings contribute to a tight lower back and can lead to pain.

It may be worth mentioning that cycling is a low impact sport and over time (how much? I don't know), your bone density will decrease. Apparently, that's why clavicle breaks are common in cycling. Well, and in some cases from improper falling - a FOOSH injury (falling on an outstretched hand). So, running may be helpful in the long term to prevent this. I took an athletic injury course a couple semesters ago, so it's been a while. Anyone please feel to correct anything I've said. Good luck with your training!

No comments:

Post a Comment