Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Mile To Ride Before Sleep

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bike & Build by the Numbers Part III

I am breaking from my traditional monthly post, and you now get a second bonus post! Wahoo.

I thought I was done with numbers from the summer. I'm currently reading The Cyclist's Training Bible, which has given me some insight into the software I use to analyze my cycling performance. I now present my Performance Management Chart from last summer.


It's a lot, so let me break it down.

TSB = training stress balance :: form
CTL = chronic training load :: fitness
ATL = acute training load :: fatigue

ATL shows my training stress and how hard I worked in the short term. When CTL rises, my fitness is improving. TSB shows "restedness." A score above zero means I am "on form" or well rested. As you can see, I only reached that twice. The first time was after a week in New Orleans, and I am not sure how I recovered for the second. That day off was in the Grand Canyon, and I didn't do too much there as it was raining (and hailing) and I was a little under the weather.

I was tired for much of Bike & Build, and now I know why. Well, I guess anyone with half a brain could have told me why. They would have said, "You're biking across the country! Of course, you're tired!" I tagged the build days and days off and there is a strong correlation of restedness after those according to the graph. For fun I also labeled some of the hard days, which is along the ATL line. I will have to compare this to my regular racing season. It may be that I will only be on form a couple times during a season, and it's perfectly normal. I will continue reading the book and find out.

Interestingly, I started Bike & Build near my most tired state. I had just completed Cover Indiana (360 miles), and I was sick. Not the best way to start. If I had to do it over again, I would make it a point to come well rested. More on B&B do-overs next time.

Also, I felt most burnt out during the two times I was most rested. Weird, right? Moral of the story: stay tired enough so you don't realize you're tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment